Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Out of mere curiousity

Ah, I have returned from my long four-day weekend (that’s right, three is just not enough) and I have completely cleared my system of some things I’ve been dying to do. There was copious amounts of hanging around, copious amounts of drinking, copious amounts of driving, and now: copious amounts of using the word copious.

But now that I’ve returned to the dark dreariness of Lincoln, I’m right back where I was when I left. Slightly tired, a little befuddled, and without much food in my refrigerator—the latter being a product of laziness and not economic disposition.

There were a few things that happened over the last 4 days that struck me as strange, thought-provoking, and sometimes even mind-blowing. Let me elaborate with the three biggest things that have occupied my time over the last couple of days.

1. Weather
There was NEVER really a bad moment throughout the entire trip. We went to 4 different places—my friend and I—and everytime we woke up, hung over, covered in body odor and filth, we gathered our things, said our goodbyes, filled up the car with gas, breakfast pizza, coffee, and water, and headed to our next destination. Every time we did this it was a cloudy, dreary scene. But the second we entered the city limits of our destination, the sun came out, the rain stopped, and there was a great amount of beer-drinking weather to be had by all…until of course we woke up the next day, in which it was time to beat the weather to our next location.
During this trip there were tornadoes and severe thunderstorms the day we left, or course we were oblivious to all of this because we were in another location and most likely under the influence.
I’m sure there is some meteorological reason for this phenomenon, but I’m going to just assume it is because the world revolves around me.

2. Relationships
Just a little update on the girl from the gym. I introduced myself, asked her out (I got a maybe…what does that mean?), and have had colloquial conversations with her over the past few days. Nothing major, nothing minor, just…being around I guess. But throughout all the lake watching, fire watching, tv watching, road watching, etc. There is a lot of room for conversation. The one I couldn’t help but becoming most engrossed in is the concept of the relationship. My best friend’s dad had made an interesting assertion about our generation: “Nobody your age dates anymore, either you’re fucking or you’re married.” This was one of the simplest ways I’ve ever heard it put, and quite honestly, it was fabulous.
It is true, we don’t do anything anymore. What is the difference between knowing somebody that you occasionally have sex with, you take out to dinner from time to time, and you talk on the phone every once in a while versus a girl/boyfriend? Essentially dating is just like going up to one of your friends and saying “You’re no longer able to do this with anybody but me”. Where’s the fun in that? I’m not sure, and this is why I’m single.
I’m just completely blow away by why anybody would want to chain themselves down like that. And I know that karma will undoubtedly get me a girlfriend in the near future and I’ll be forced to explain myself, but from where I’m sitting right now (at my desk, at work) I don’t really see a reason to jump into that pool,

3. Humor
I laugh, a lot. I joke around, I’m immature, I fart, all of these things produce laughter. I can’t help but think of all the people I know that probably sat at home and did things like watch C-SPAN or “took the dog on a walk” while I was out meandering through peoples yards after 15 cans of free graduation party beer. These people make me sad.
My buddy had “Grandma’s Boy” on his iPod and we listened to it for part of the 4 hour drive home yesterday. It’s strange that Grandma’s Boy is so funny you don’t even have to watch it to find it hilarious. Without the visual, I found different parts hilarious. I give you a few of my favorite lines, from simply listening to that movie:
“What’s up Douche Bigelow”
“Who else wants to hear about my STD from the Silent Film Era?”
“Alright, I hope it’s a guy with a boner”
“I am a robot, I have a robot vagina”

So anyway, four days, a few learned lessons, many don’t bear much relevance and I’ll do them again, probably soon.
So be happy where you’re at, don’t chain yourself down with people that aren’t drop dead gorgeous and incredibly electric to be around, and just laugh once in a while.

Peace.

No comments: